The Ackerman Law Firm
John E. Ackerman is the principal of The Ackerman Law Firm. Mr. Ackerman received his undergraduate degree in International Relations from the University of Wyoming and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Wyoming College of Law in 1967. Early in his career, Mr. Ackerman located his law practice in Texas and has consistently specialized in criminal defense. Nationally and internationally honored, he is the past President of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and has served as lead counsel for defendants before the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia at The Hague, Netherlands. His accomplishments include the following:
- He successfully defended Russell Means of murder charges arising from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- He was the Dean of the National College for Criminal Defense from 1975 to 1981.
- He is a former member of the Criminal Justice Counsel of the American Bar Association.
- He has served as a District Court Judge in Houston, Texas.
- He is the past President of the Association of Defence Counsel of the International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association and has been inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
- He has been named as one of the Top 100 trial lawyers by the American Association for Justice.
- He is the author of numerous articles and books focused on criminal law subjects including Texas Rules of Criminal Evidence: A Practitioner’s Handbook and Practice and Procedure of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- He has been an invited lecturer at national and international conferences on criminal law.
Schedule a Free Consultation