Patrick A. Shea
National & International Public Affairs
Patrick A. Shea is uniquely experienced and skilled. A highly regarded lawyer, he is also an expert on national and international public affairs. Mr. Shea graduated from Stanford University where he was selected as a Rhodes Scholar. He received his M.A. in Human Sciences from Oxford University in 1972. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1975 where he also served as a Research Assistant to Professors Charles Fried and Paul Freund with the Committee on Clinical Procedures at the Harvard School for Public Health.
Mr. Shea has practiced law in Salt Lake City since 1980 and is recognized for his expertise in natural resource law as well as constitutional law. But in keeping with his uniqueness, his accomplishments have also been extraordinary outside the regular practice of law:
- He was the Assistant to the Staff Director of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Operations (the “Church Committee”).
- He was Chief Counsel to the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- He was a member of the President’s Commission on Aviation Safety, Security, and Air Traffic Control — a Commission chaired by Vice President Gore.
- During the course of his career, he has been responsible for overseeing the negotiations and ratifications of international tax treaties, formed international cooperatives for NGO’s, and negotiated international business contracts for clients.
- He has served as the Director of the Bureau of Land Management for the Department of the Interior and then Deputy Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management, a position that oversees the Bureau of Land Management, the Minerals Management Service, and the Office of Surface Mining.
- He has been a teacher and adjunct faculty member at Westminster College (environmental justice), Kansas State University (agronomy), the University of Utah (political science), and the J. Rueben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University.
- He has been a member of the Graduate Studies Committee at Yale University
- He is Associate Research Professor of Biology at the University of Utah and the External Advisor to the Dean of the College of Science at University of Utah, with a concentration on water resources and desert ecosystems.
- He has been a member of the Board of Advisors of the Huntsman Center for Global Competition and Innovation at the Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania.